Crowd Source Beekeeping© (Bluegrass Beekeepers)
Local is good. That’s why Crowd Source Beekeeping©, where we poll what we all are doing with our bees is so helpful. There is wisdom and guidance in our pooled answers to timely questions.
This past month (second week of July), we responded to 11 questions, here are the results. Not all 57 of those attending responded. All questions were prefaced with the phrase, ‘Raise your hand if you…”
- Inspected the lowest deep of at least one hive this week. 24
- Split a hive this past week. 1
- Fed bees this past week. 24
- Treated for varroa this past week 2
- Were stung this past week – no matter how lightly 9
- Saw robbing among your bees this past week 4
- Know your bees swarmed within the past week. 0
- Are reasonably sure that all our hives are queen-right. 36
- Took off at least one super this past week. 6
- Extracted honey in the past 10 days 8
- Saw hive beetles in any hive 25
Most of us are:
- Sure all our hives are queen-right.
- Inspect at least some of our hives weekly, all the way down.
- Feeding some hives now.
- Infected with hive beetles.
- Unaware when and if our hives swarm
Some of us are:
- Seeing robbing.
- Taking off supers and extracting.
- Getting stung (Beekeepers get stung)
A few of us are:
- Treating for varroa now.
- Splitting hives.
Crowd Source Beekeeping is not meant to market any particular way to manage bees. Look at the number of responses to each question and decide whether you are in-step with what others are doing or whether you, for whatever reason, think or are doing differently. The key is to think and act mindfully about what we are doing.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.